Ever since the hope and change express got up to full speed, people have been cashing in on Barack Obama’s name.
Ahhh….the sweet smell of capitalism at its finest.
A prime example comes from purveyors of tacky promotions: minor league sports. The team in question is the Brooklyn Cyclones.
What do they plan on doing? Why, they plan on naming the team the Baracklyn Cyclones for a day.
The Brooklyn Cyclones, announced today that they will change their name to the “Baracklyn Cyclones” for their June 23 game against Hudson Valley.
According to the team’s Baracklyn website, special promotions on that day — the team’s “inaugural Tuesday” — will include:
• Alternate red, white, and blue jerseys adorned with the team’s new name — Baracklyn Cyclones
• FREE Barack Obama bobbleheads to the first 2,500 fans in attendance, featuring the president in a Baracklyn Cyclones jersey
• The Economic Stimulus Package: From 10 a.m. on Jan. 20 — Inauguration Day — to midnight on Jan. 23, ticket prices for the June 23 game will be “rolled back” to the Cyclones’ inaugural 2001 season rates …
• Universal Health Care: Free Band-Aids to the first 1,000 fans
• Naming Rights: Anyone named Barack gets in for free (Bring your ID on the night of the game)
There’s more, including consolation tickets for anyone named McCain or Palin and a “Joe The Plumber” special. The team’s jerseys will be auctioned off later and here’s betting that those bobbles become hot items on eBay.
Sadly, the real universal health plan will be just what the Cyclones are offering.
To see this week’s caption contest winners, CLICK HERE! 🙂